Motivational Enhancement Therapy Program in Massachusetts
Motivational enhancement therapy (MET) is a motivational psychology method created to quickly bring about internally motivated change. This is not a step-by-step approach where the therapist guides the client through the process but rather uses motivational methods to utilize the client’s own ability to change. There is an initial assessment session followed by two to four individual therapy sessions. The idea is to help the client find self-motivating proclamations to aid them in changing their addictive behaviors. This has been shown to be more effective in getting clients to engage in their own struggle for sobriety rather than dealing with the addiction itself.
At Paramount Recovery Centers, we provide a wide range of addiction therapy programs to help people begin and maintain their recovery. One of our most effective addiction treatment methods is motivational enhancement therapy, which has proved to be effective for many people. If you or a loved one may benefit from motivational enhancement therapy, reach out to our team today by completing our online contact form.
MOTIVATIONAL ENHANCEMENT THERAPY PROGRAM
One of the most difficult aspects of getting help with addiction is finding the motivation to seek treatment. An unmotivated person will let a substance use disorder continue to get out of hand rather than confront it and its contribution to their personal decline. In the first two therapy sessions, the client’s spouse or significant other is involved. The first session focuses on what has been learned through the initial assessment. The addiction, its causes, and probable solutions are discussed. The second session focuses on building a commitment to behavioral change. The last two sessions occur in weeks six and twelve of the program, using them as an opportunity to monitor progress and validate the changes that are being made.
ELEMENTS TO INDUCE CHANGE
Using the Acronym FRAMES, the elements to induce change include:
- FEEDBACK of impairment
- Personal RESPONSIBILITY for change
- Clear-cut ADVICE to change
- A MENU of differing change options
- EMPATHY of the therapist
- The client’s SELF-EFFICACY
STAGES OF CHANGE
The six stages of change that take place during motivational enhancement therapy are:
- Precontemplation – Prior to considering making a change in behavior
- Contemplation – Recognizing that there is a problem and deciding if treatment is affordable and useful
- Determination – A decision to take concrete action in addressing the problem
- Action – The addiction problem is confronted, and action is taken to get sober
- Maintenance – Sustaining the change that has been developed
- Relapse – If the change has been interrupted and relapse occurs, the cycle starts over
MOTIVATIONAL ENHANCEMENT THERAPY TECHNIQUES
At Paramount Recovery Centers, our motivational enhancement therapy techniques include:
- Express empathy – Respectful communication between therapist and client
- Develop discrepancy – It is the discrepancy between the state the client is currently in and where they see themselves in a sober future
- Avoid argumentation – Preventing defensive behavior in dealing with coping mechanisms
- Roll with resistance – Trying to get the client to shift their perspective when there is resistance
- Support self-efficacy – The therapist supports the client in helping them believe in their own ability to effect change
LEARN MORE ABOUT MOTIVATIONAL INTERVIEWING AT PARAMOUNT RECOVERY CENTERS TODAY
At Paramount Recovery Centers, our motivational enhancement therapy program in Massachusetts encourages clients to engage in internally motivated change. With the help of a therapist specifically trained in this method, the guest will discover their own motivations to combat a substance use disorder effectively with lasting results. MET is a unique approach that allows the therapist and guest to be partners in the guest’s well-worn path to sobriety rather than adversaries. It is this adversarial dilemma that prevents many people from achieving their goals both in a program and also when they are on their own.
At Paramount Recovery Centers in Southborough, MA, we are well-versed in this method and treat our guests with the respect they deserve. We can be reached online for you to take the first step on your journey to wellness and recovery.