5 Benefits of a Family Therapy Program
1. Strengthening Bonds
The main benefit of a family therapy program is that it strengthens the bonds between family members that may have been damaged by addiction, trauma, or mental health disorders.
2. Managing Stress
Often, stress is a factor in fractured family relationships. Part of family therapy is learning how to better manage stress so that it doesn’t get in the way of the family dynamic.
3. Improving Relationships
Family therapy can even improve relationships between partners and resolve conflicts between parents and children. With enhanced skills learned in family therapy, families can enjoy renewed relationships.
4. Coping with Mental Health Disorders
Mental health disorders may be at the heart of why family members have disagreements. Finding ways to cope with mental health disorders is part of family therapy.
5. Addressing the Impact of Substance Abuse
When a family member is stuck in the endless cycle of addiction, it can damage familial relationships. By addressing the impact of substance abuse through family therapy for drug addiction, the entire family can reconnect.
Request a 100% Confidential Callback
If you or a loved one are struggling with substance abuse and mental health problems, contact our drug and alcohol rehab center in the Greater Boston area to talk confidentially with an addiction specialist. For immediate help, call (978) 878-3677 or fill out the form below, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
"*" indicates required fields
How Does a Family Therapy Program Work?
Facilitated by a psychologist, clinical social worker, or licensed therapist, a family therapy program is a short-term approach to repairing the lines of communication within the family dynamic. Family counseling may include all members of your family or only those willing and able to participate in the regularly scheduled family therapy sessions. During a family therapy program, your treatment plan will be custom-tailored to address the specific issues you are facing and if there is substance abuse playing a role in the conflicts being experienced between family members.
What to Expect During Family Counseling
During a typical family therapy program, several members will be together in the same room for family therapy sessions. That said, individuals may also opt to see a trained family therapist on a one-on-one basis. Family counseling sessions typically last one hour or less and tend to run for roughly a dozen sessions. Of course, the exact number of sessions needed to accomplish the goals you and your family have for the therapy may be different based on the therapist’s professional recommendation. During family therapy, you can expect to be asked to:
- Discuss ways in which each member of the family can better express their emotions, ideas, and thoughts in a healthy and productive manner
- Explore the behaviors and roles that exist within your family – family dynamics – to pinpoint the issues that are contributing to the conflicts and then work to find constructive methods of solving those issues
- Identify the strengths of each member of your family, and discuss ways to effectively utilize those strengths to improve the family as a unit
- Develop empathy and understanding of the different struggles facing your family members as they work through matters of mental health and substance abuse
- Find common ground allowing you to relate to each other
- Set goals and work to achieve them individually and within the family system
Get Answers to Your Questions Now
Are you looking for information on addiction treatment options, or just need someone to talk to? We are here to help.
Experience the Benefits of Family Therapy at Paramount Recovery Centers
No matter how complex your family dynamic is, if you are struggling to see eye to eye and have healthy relationships, our family therapy program at Paramount Recovery Centers can help. Contact us today by using our secure online form to learn more about our family therapy program in MA and available substance abuse treatment.